Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Stay Tuned!

Welcome to my new readers from Disney! I assume, based on the search terms you're using, you're checking to see whether you really did manage to take my buddy Spocko off the tubes. Well, congratulations, you did...and you didn't. Haven't you ever heard the old (and it is fairly old) saw (apparently by John Gilmore) about how "the Internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it"?

For those of you who are just tuning in to this sordid saga, Disney and KSFO have convinced Spocko's domain host to take down Spocko's blog, which was formerly located at www.spockosbrain.com. Disney et al had originally sent Spocko a cease-and-desist letter, and I guess Spocko's hosting company didn't bother to check whether the allegedly-infringing material was gone or not before wiping his site. (Since they're also the company that hosts my mainstream professional site, the one I use when I'm not being a DFH blogger, I suspect they're going to get a nastygram in the mail from me, castigating them for being a bunch of lily-livered cowards.)

Now, we all know that Disney and friends haven't got a legal leg to stand on; timeshifting and reproduction of broadcast materials for education and critical purposes are protected speech in both Spocko's jurisdiction and mine, so I'm assuming that this cease-and-desist letter nonsense was basically the low-power "bunker buster nuke" version of a SLAPP suit.

In any case, Spocko is dead: Long live Spocko! I have invited Spocko to guest-post here, so I'm hoping he'll send me something to post. Stay tuned for fresh updates!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long live free speech!

6:52 PM  
Blogger P. Drāno said...

Interesting about the 'censorship' thing. I assume that was the purpose of the internet to begin with. Nice to see a specific example!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Eli said...

Wankers. I hope they go down in flames along with all the psychos at KSFO.

11:06 PM  
Blogger karmic said...

Tossers! I never liked Disney.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home